- To educate residents on life skills such as budgeting, laundry, housekeeping, etc.
- To educate and encourage women in nutritional ways of eating.
- To connect the residents with available resources in the community.
- To assist with obtaining housing and transportation.
- To provide some transportation to important appointments such as doctor visits and job interviews.
- To provide counseling services in a holistic manner from staff and area counseling services.
- To provide opportunities to receive higher education by visiting college campuses and to ensure a High School diploma or GED has been obtained.
- To educate on healthy relationships and discuss future goals as well as positive decision making.
- To provide after school tutoring to ensure that school assignments are completed.
I learned so much from Guiding Light. I learned how to save money for things needed, not wanted. I learned how to get along with others and to not always voice my opinion, even though this was difficult for me. Last but not least, I learned how to get closer to God because I don’t know where I would be if it wasn’t for Him. (read all of Marilyn’s story in the Feb 2014 Newsletter)Marilyn